Under Surveillance

About A Girl

Once upon a time, I was in a video store with my then boyfriend trying to pick out a movie to watch. I picked up John Carpenter's Vampires, and proceeded to tell the boy about the coolest scene in the movie, where a guy uses his hot-from-being-fired gun to cauterize a wound he received. Said boyfriend looks at me, shakes his head, and says, "You're not like other girls, Betty."

Name::Braindead Betty
From::Indy, Indiana, United States


Email Me
Cast of Characters
My 100 Things



Blogroll



Recently



Archives



Miscellany

Powered by Blogger

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from braindead betty. Make your own badge here.

Template by Braindead Betty

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

June Cleaver Would Absolutely Cringe

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I spent a good bit of this evening ignoring the dirty dishes in the sink in order to jump on the bed with Bean.

She had a great weekend. It was her 2nd birthday yesterday. (Yep, born on the fourth of July) She spent all weekend telling anybody who would listen "Happy Birthday Cake!" We're not having her party until this weekend, but we went ahead and gave her her big birthday gift yesterday. She got a Barbie vanity. My inner feminist cringes about giving her stuff like that, but she genuinely enjoys it. She's such a girly-girl. She's all about shoes and purses and playing dress up. I really don't know where she gets this stuff from, because to this day if asked to describe myself, one of the first words that pops up is "tomboy."

I like to rationalize her obsession with looking into mirrors as her learning about action and reaction rather than vanity on her part. Really, how can a two year old be vain? Especially because I'm very careful about how often I compliment her on her beauty. I make sure to tell her how smart and special she is just as often.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The trait I love seeing in her the most is definitely one she gets from me, though. That's her independence. Mixed in with a good bit of old-fashioned bull-headedness, might I add. She never wants you to do something for her that she can do herself. And when she decides she wants to learn to do something new, she practices doing it over and over until she has it perfect. My little girl certainly doesn't settle for good enough. (Which can be a pain in the butt at times, I admit.) I just love the look of pride and accomplishment in her face when she finally masters a new skill.

Oh, and in the "sometimes bad things happen for a good reason" department, Jay found a new job, paying quite a bit more than he was making before. So things are looking up on that end. And I've also gotten wind of a new job opportunity, that will end up with me pretty much doubling my pay. I'm not so sure about the job itself though, so we'll see how that ends up. I'll keep you updated.

Labels: