Under Surveillance

About A Girl

Once upon a time, I was in a video store with my then boyfriend trying to pick out a movie to watch. I picked up John Carpenter's Vampires, and proceeded to tell the boy about the coolest scene in the movie, where a guy uses his hot-from-being-fired gun to cauterize a wound he received. Said boyfriend looks at me, shakes his head, and says, "You're not like other girls, Betty."

Name::Braindead Betty
From::Indy, Indiana, United States


Email Me
Cast of Characters
My 100 Things



Blogroll



Recently



Archives



Miscellany

Powered by Blogger

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from braindead betty. Make your own badge here.

Template by Braindead Betty

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My (very late) Year in Review: 2006 Edition

Thursday, January 18, 2007

In local news:



Indianapolis had a "crime wave" this year, with our second highest number of annual homicides ever. And then our race for prosecuter was decided over promises made to try an NBA player who fired shots in the air to the fullest extent of the law. And since elections have been over, I've not heard a damn word about that case. Meanwhile, (mostly young, black) people are still dropping like flies. It's so disgusting how obvious it is that the government doesn't care as long as it's poor minorities doing the dying. Blech.

Indiana joined the rest of the world in practicing Daylight Savings Time for the first time this year. It didn't really bother me, especially the one night where we got an extra hour in the bar. Apparently, some people are really worked up over this though.

In Hollywood:



Best Movie I saw in 2006: Talledega Nights; The Legend of Ricky Bobby. Making "Shake 'n Bake" more than just something I like on pork chops.

Best Movie I didn't see in 2006: a tie between The Departed and Last King of Scotland. Hopefully, I'll get to both on DVD in 2007.

Movie I'm Happiest I Didn't Waste My Time On: Borat. I don't get it. Maybe it's just cause I'm not young and hip anymore, but I really just. don't. get. it.

Movie I Wish I Hadn't Wasted $8 On: Eragon. Kinda' sad when the CGI character does the best acting job.

Movie Most Looking Forward to in 2008: The Simpsons. D'oh!

Most Over-Exposed (Pun totally intended) Celebrity of 2006: 3 way tie: Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Lindsey Lohan. Too bad Lohan actually has talent, as evidenced in Mean Girls, it actually seems kind of a shame that she behaves this way.

Most Improved Celebrity of 2006: Nicole Ritchie. I never thought I'd congratulate an anerexo-celeb for losing weight, but that 85 pounds of Rachel Zoe that Nicole dropped were a fabulous thing.

In Music:



CBGB's closed. Sometimes I feel like I'm so young I missed out on the best part of punk rock's reign. Then I remember that new history is being made every day. The vote is still out on how cheesy the Las Vegas CBGB's that opens later this year will be.

All big bands continued to skip past Indianapolis on their way to Chicago or the East Coast, with one exception. Nine Inch Nails played a show in Indy, though they were not the band to see that night. The reclusive Bauhaus opened for them. 'Twas magic in the air that night. Even if Bela Lugosi was dead.

Goodbyes



Goodbye this year to Don Knotts, comedic genius. (I still love The Incredible Mr. Limpett no matter what anybody says.)

Goodbye to Al Lewis, aka Grandpa Munster. I liked the Munsters so much better than the Addams Family.

Goodbye Coretta Scott King. Behind every good man is a great woman, and you proved that as you continued the fight for civil rights long after your husband was taken from you.

Goodbye Gerald Ford. I didn't know much about you before you died, but from what I've read since then, you sound like a Republican that I could have gotten along with. I salute you, sir.



Goodbye, 2006 and welcome, 2007. I can't wait to see what you have in store.

Labels: , ,